Last updated: August 07. 2014 4:14PM - 118 Views
By Sandi McBride Contributing Columnist

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

This has been such an eventful week that I wonder where to begin my my narrative. So I will begin at the beginning. As you know, we started out last week with the most wonderful news, the birth of our grandson Edgar Lawrence McBride. The day was not the best for me healthwise, but heartwise, it was wonderful.

After learning that I had cellulitis in my right foot and began treatment, on Wednesday the problem was no better — in fact, it was worse. Mac bundled me into the truck and we headed to the emergency department at Carolina Pines in Hartsville. I was seen by a surgeon who admitted me immediately.

On Thursday I went into surgery where they did a clean-out of the affected area. When I came out of recovery, I knew from Mac’s face that the news was not good. The surgeon came in and spoke to us and told us that the partial amputation of my right foot was not only indicated, it was imperative. I agreed and the surgery was set for Friday.

I did not sleep much Thursday night, I was not worried, only anxious. I was told how much of my foot was to go, and I knew I had to live with it. But still, sleep eluded me. At 6 a.m. Friday, they came to take me to surgery. I was so glad that it would start early, knowing that it would be well under way if not a finished procedure by the time Mac arrived at the hospital.

When I came to, as they rolled me into my room, I was suddenly surrounded by my family and love. The day moved on in slow motion, it seemed. I had yet to cry. I am not a big crier.

Friday night, after my family had all gone home and as I lay on the hard-framed hospital bed, I lay curled up on my side and drifted in and out of a half-sleep. The TV played in the background, something on HGTV, when the first spirit arrived.

The swirling of a warm mist, the face of my mother peered down at me. She was saying something I could not understand, but her gentle hands caressed my face and as she moved away, I saw another spirit ready to move in and my grandmother’s hands took the place of my mother’s.

Her voice spoke straight to my heart, reassuring me that I was not alone, then my mother-in-law was there, her face brightly lit, her hands caressing and loving and she was speaking to me. Finally, the fourth spirit moved over me and soft, sweet hands stroked my face and neck.

I was not asleep. I was wide awake. The visitation lasted all night. I felt rocked and cuddled in loving arms. arms of the strongest women in my life experiences.. At 6 a.m., I fell into a deep and healing sleep.

I am well on the road to recovery, and the medical staff is amazed at how little pain medication I have had to take. The doctor told me today that they are calling me the Wonder Patient. He says that I will heal better since I am not having to take so much pain medication.

So that is what happened to me Friday night. I would not give anything for the experience. God is good.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Cheraw Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com