Cheraw Mayor Andy Ingram compiled a list of accomplishments, along with current projects, undertaken by Cheraw Town Council over the past year to share with the public.
Key Projects in Progress:
- Keeping downtown Post Office from being closed.
- Developing master plan for improvements to the Cheraw Complex (old B.C. Moore’s Headquarters and warehouse).
- Working to acquire property and expand Arrowhead Park.
- Working to get the closed bridge at State Road repaired and opened as quickly as possible.
Economic Development Projects:
- Carolina Canners - $23 million expansion announced.
- INA Bearing - $40 million expansion announced.
- Ironwood Farms - Announcement and purchase of old Pyramid Screen Printing property.
- Partnered with Chesterfield County Council and Town of Chesterfield to assist with Carolinas Centre Industrial Park.
- Airport Parallel Taxi-way Expansion completed (FAA Grant).
- ACL Avenue clean-up of railroad right-of-way by CSX.
- Demolition of Cheraw Yarn Mill by owner.
- Demolition of Sash & Door Project undertaken by property owner.
- Purchased a new street sweeper.
- Purchased a new knuckleboom loader (picks up yard debris).
- Demolition of two buildings at Cheraw Complex by Town.
- Demolition of old hospital being undertaken by owner.
- Working to see demolition of old Jerry B. Leach Company building on Market Street.
- Working to see the Cheraw Fashion building on Market Street demolished.
- Nearly finished with demolition of Old Western Auto building on Second Street.
- Nearly finished with demolition of old Fish Market building on Front Street.
- Cleaned up the overgrowth at the Cheraw Complex.
- Had lights installed in 24 trees in the downtown that will be lit year round.
- Working to improve River Hill entrance-way. Hired landscape architect to develop beautification plans and will be applying for grants to complete.
- Riverside Park paving of parking lot to be done in spring of 2013.
- $10,000 set aside for Facade Program ran out within two months of being available to businesses.
- $25,000 Renaissance Village Project received for ACL Avenue area which will enable Town to undertake planning study and allow the Town to apply for two $375,000 grants from S.C. Department of Commerce.
- Applying for $200,000 for DOT Enhancement Grant for Riverhill Entrance-way.
- $15,000 Tourism Advertising Grant from SCPRT.
- $50,000 grant from SCDNR for paving of Riverside Park parking lot.
- $315,640 Community Development Block Grant from SC Dept. of Commerce for storm drainage improvements.
- $730,764 FAA Grant for extension of parallel taxi-way.
- $25,000 grant from SC Dept. of Archives and History for improvements to foundation of the Cheraw Town Hall.
- $400,000 grant application to EPA to clean up contaminated sites.
- Will be applying for PARD Grant through SCPRT in June through Recreation Department for improvements to Arrowhead Park.
- Will be applying in Feb. for a SC Rural Infrastructure Grant to develop Brasington Pond Reservoir Project.
- Will be applying for a Highway Safety Grant from the SC Dept. of Public Safety in February.
- Passed $6.4 million dollar budget with no tax fees or water/sewage rate increase.
- Cheraw area received Protection Class 4 Fire Rating from ISO effective 12/1/12/to include the Cheraw Rural Fire District. Previously, the rural area had an ISO rating of 7 which will lower insurance rates for Rural Fired District protection and to renegotiate rural fire contract.
- Hosted a successful Christmas Fest in the downtown which will become an annual event.
- Held a successful summer music series which will continue in 2013.
- Co-hosted a few events at the State Park and will continue to do so in 2013.
- Partnered with State Park and donated $5,000 for improvements at the swimming area which opened and became a successful venture.
- Rails to Trails Project on hold - negotiations broke down but still hopeful a bike trail can be developed from the Town limits to the State Park.
- Annual Town Council retreat to be held at end of January.