CHESTERFIELD – The South Carolina Forestry Commission and two members of the S.C. legislative delegation, Sen. Vincent Sheheen and Rep. Ted Vick, presented the Chesterfield County School Board with a check totaling $363,935.48 during its monthly meeting on Monday.
S.C. Forester Henry E. Kodama and Brian Davis of Sandhills State Forest presented the generous donation to the Chesterfield County School District, with Superintendent Dr. John Williams accepting.
The donation represented 25 percent of all revenues derived from the Commission’s Sandhills State Forest property that resides in Chesterfield County. The Commission returns 25 percent of revenue generated on its lands to the county of origin for the county’s schools and are the only state agency to do this. State Forest management and operation is funded entirely by the other 75 percent of revenues generated from the land and do not receive state funding.
It also will provide a total of about $672,000 to a total of 12 counties this year.
“With some of the budget cuts we have had this will help the school district,” said School Board Chairman Chad Vick. “We want to thank the Forestry Commission for all that they do and we are thankful for this generous donation,”
In other business:
N United Way representatives Jane Pigg and Margaret Mitchell thanked the board for supporting the United Way in Chesterfield County. They recognized Plainview Elementary and Cheraw Primary as both having 100 percent participation in this year’s campaign.
“We would like to thank Dr. Williams and Chesterfield County School District as for supporting United Way,” said Pigg. “ In our principal’s meeting tomorrow we will be presenting these awards to these schools for their efforts and participation in United Way.”
Williams accepted a certificate on behalf of the school board for the district’s support of United Way.
- Nov. 10, the board will begin their tour of several schools within the district which include Jefferson Elementary, New Heights Middle School, Central High, Petersburg Elementary, and Pageland Elementary. The tour will help the board to assess any improvements and other issues needed.
- The 2008 PACT Demographic Scores for Chesterfield County School students showed an increase in numbers for students scoring in Advanced and Proficiency improvements.
- Williams and the board recognized Chairman Vick as a Champion of Education and presented Vick with a new gavel.
- Williams also recommend that the architects for the old Edwards School renovation project stay onboard as the designing firm for the project.
- Vick reminded board members of the SCSBA Delegate Assembly scheduled for Dec. 6 and asked for any volunteers who would attend