Connie Maxwell Children's Home has opened an emergency shelter for children in the Fourth Judicial Circuit after months of planning and construction.
The facility is named the Adams Campus in honor of the major donor, Paul Adams, a former student of Connie Maxwell and former resident of Chesterfield. Adams is a veteran of World War II and served on board the USS Nevada when it was attacked in Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941.
There will be a formal dedication June 5 at 2 p.m. at the campus at 212 Zoar Road.
For information, contact Pee Dee Campus director Becky Butler, (843) 665-7116; Adams Campus Director Julie Heath, 623-5177; or Director of Communications for Connie Maxwell Children's Home Miller Murphy, (800) 868-2624. Or e-mail email@example.com.
Connie Maxwell Children's Home opened in 1892 and is named for Constance Pope Maxwell, who died of scarlet fever at age 7 in 1883. To memorialize their daughter, Dr. and Mrs. J.C. Maxwell donated 400 acres of land in Greenwood for a South Carolina Baptist Convention ministry to children in need.
Today, Connie Maxwell reaches more than 300 children and their families each year through residential, referral, crisis and counseling services in Greenwood, Mauldin, Florence, Orangeburg and Summerville.
Less than 10 percent of the children assisted by Connie Maxwell are true orphans. Most children needing assistance are referred to the shelter by church pastors, families or state organizations. Through a structured program, family services workers provide counseling and promote reuniting families.
Dr. Ben Davis is the president and the main headquarters is in Greenwood.