The official ground breaking ceremony for the new Habitat for Humanity house being built on the corner of Huger and West Greene Streets will take place at 10 a.m. this Saturday morning. Work, however, has already begun.
Bob Haines, manager for the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store on Front Street, said Mike Reece, executive director for the charity organization, will be in town for the ceremony and will announce the recipients of the new home, even though they have already been named.
“Each Habitat for Humanity house is built to suit the needs of the family it will serve,” said Haines. The need for the family is determined first, he said, then the plans for the house.
Each of the homes built by Habitat for Humanity have 5 Star energy ratings, residential sprinkler systems, and a brick veneer, said Haines.
In theory, sales from the Re-Store pay for approximately 80 percent of the cost to build these homes, said Haines. The other 20 percent comes from private and corporate donations. However, as Cheraw’s store is still very new, a lot of help with this construction is actually coming from Union County, he said.
Also, this Saturday morning, Sept. 8, there will be a “big yard sale” sponsored by Palmetto Farms, said Haines, in the parking lot at the Country Kitchen Restaurant. “We will have our box truck on the scene to take donations that morning and anything left over from the yard sale will be donated to the Re-Store,” he said.
The Re-Store is located in the old Cheraw Hardware Building, or old Jones Furniture Building, behind Goody’s and the Cheraw Police Station. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.
— Staff Writer Karen Kissiah can be reached by calling 843-537-5261, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.