Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook In: 25 mins
Ready In: 40 mins
Ingredients - makes 8 servings
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups buttermilk, or as needed
1. Preheat an electric griddle or fry pan to medium-high, about 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Stir the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a large bowl until well combined.
3. Stir in the buttermilk, 1/2 cup at a time, until the mixture forms a very sticky ball of dough.
4. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead gently 8 to 10 times.
5. Pat the dough into a circle about 1 1/2 inch thick, and cut the circle into quarters.
6. Place the wedges onto the preheated griddle and cook until the bottom is golden brown, about 15 minutes; turn over and cook the other side until golden, another 10 to 15 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of a wedge should come out clean.
7. Stand the wedges on a wire rack to cool, then cut each wedge in half and slice horizontally for serving.