Last updated: July 25. 2014 8:08AM - 352 Views
By Karen Kissiah kkissiah@civitasmedia.com

Harold Terry Chambers
Harold Terry Chambers
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Chesterfield County sheriff’s deputies fired at least six shots in a July 12 standoff near a Pageland home, according to recently released incident reports.

When the standoff near 14 Smith Lane was all over, 32-year-old Harold Terry Chambers of 83 Central Place Lane, Pageland, was arrested on a charge of public drunkenness.

According to the incident report filed by Chesterfield County Sheriff’s Deputy Larry T. Tucker, deputies were called to the scene because two guys were “shooting toward the complainant’s residence.”

While responding to the call, deputies received two more reports of shots being fired in that same area, near Airport Road and Smith Lane in Pageland.

When deputies arrived, one complainant, standing outside in the neighborhood, told officers that a man had gone “to her house and fired about five shots in the air with a gun and took off running across the road.”

The officers left the scene and went to the man’s home, but did not locate him. The Chronicle is not naming the man because he has not been charged with any crimes in the incident.

When they returned to Smith Lane, officers were told that the man showed up there because Chambers “got jumped on at a house further on down Smith Lane, and that the man thought someone in her yard done it and came up trying to fight over it and began firing in the air.”

That’s when deputies checked the yard for shell casings, but were unable to find any.

Tucker and Cpl. Lewis decided to go to the home where the fight was supposed to have taken place and as they were exiting the yard, Lewis told Tucker that “someone had just ran behind a tree on the opposite side of the road (Smith Lane).”

Tucker said the tree was about 15 feet from the road on the corner lot, directly opposite from the initial incident location.

As deputies approached the tree, Tucker was on the right side and Lewis on the left. Tucker said he was about 10 to 12 feet from the tree when Lewis announced the sheriff’s officers’ presence telling him to come out, which he did.

“When the offender (Chambers) came out from behind the tree, he came out on the left side,” Tucker wrote in the report. “I could see the offender’s feet before he came out and I began adjusting to go that direction. The offender came out from behind the tree and entered an aggressive combat stance with something in his hands that looked to be silver in color and appeared to be a gun, the offender held it like a gun using both hands and was in a triangulate shooting stance similar to what our agency uses during qualification when firing.”

“I immediately recognized the offender and said out loud his name, Terry Chambers.”

Lewis also told the offender to drop the gun, the report states.

Then, “the offender turned to his right and began running and after a short distance, between 10 - 15 feet, turned back toward us in an aggressive combat stance similar to how he did the first time and pointed back at us,” said Tucker.

“We had drawn our weapons after the offender (Chambers) first came out and I entered a low ready stance. When the offender turned to us and pointed I brought my weapon up, I checked the background and had a clear line of sight and took aim and began firing.”

“I fired about four rounds and had a malfunction. I performed and immediate action drill (Tap, Rack, Ready) and brought my weapon back up and fired two more times,” Tucker said.

“After firing the first round, the offender began running again and had his hand to his side pointed back toward us and I could see the same object that was in his hand before pointed back toward us.”

“When the offender got to the roadway, I stopped firing, at that time I no longer felt the offender to be a threat and that he was fleeing the scene.

By this time, Lewis had asked for backup by radio.

Officers lost sight of Chambers at one point, according to the report, as he ran around a fence.

Chambers was eventually found “laying on the ground near a mud puddle.” Tucker’s report said the suspect was told “not to move and to get his hands out where they could be seen away from his body.”

Other deputies and investigators arrived and began processing the area. What they found were a bullet hole in the wall of a bedroom at 93 Deason Road. According to the report, “a bullet hole on the rear of the residence that traveled through the bedroom wall stopped in the closet.”

There also were reports of bullet holes and property damage at 1627 Airport Road.

“The bullet traveled through the door of the storage building and exited out the rear of the building at a slight angle, then it struck a white in color carport,” a sheriff’s office report states. “It appears the round bounced off the metal pole holding the car port and entered the bedroom of the residence behind it.”

The spent cartridge was located in the bedroom closet on a stack of papers.

Chambers was the only person arrested in connection with the incident.

— Reach Staff Writer Karen Kissiah at 843-537-5261.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Cheraw Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com