NASA has agreed to temporarily suspend the lunar probe project, preventing SpaceX from working on the project for the time being. The space agency is doing this in response to a lawsuit brought by Blue Origin.
The lawsuit documents show that NASA voluntarily agreed to Blue Origin’s request to temporarily suspend its contract with SpaceX while the lawsuit is being considered. The space agency has done so on the condition that all parties involved agree to a “quick timetable for the lawsuit,” which is set to expire on November 1, a spokesperson said. Reuters news agency. “NASA officials continue to work with the Department of Justice to review the details of the case and look forward to a timely resolution of this matter.” A hearing will be held on October 14.
Blue Origin sued NASA in advance this month Because of the lunar probe contract that the space agency provided to SpaceX. Blue Origin argues that NASA was supposed to hand out multiple contracts, and that NASA “acted incorrectly” by awarding the contract only to SpaceX. NASA only offered a contract for the upcoming moon landing program because the budget for this project was less than expected.
The US Government Accountability Office rejected a similar request from Blue Origin at the end of July, stating that NASA’s decision to hand over one contract was not against the law. Because of the complaint to the Government Accountability Office, SpaceX was also unable to work on the lunar probe project for several months at the time. The same is the case now. SpaceX’s lunar lander contract is worth $2.9 billion. Blue Origin CEO Jeff Bezos previously said he would recoup NASA $2 billion in costs if the organization offered a contract to Blue Origin, he wrote. The Wall Street Journal.
“Coffee buff. Twitter fanatic. Tv practitioner. Social media advocate. Pop culture ninja.”