Automaker Hyundai acquires robotic company Boston Dynamics. The South Korean company confirms this. Since the end of last year, there have been rumors that Hyundai wants to acquire the company, which was previously owned by Google subsidiary Alphabet. Hyundai believes Boston Dynamics’ robotic technology can be used to develop self-driving vehicles and transport small aircraft in urban areas.
Hyundai will acquire 80 percent of Boston Dynamics for an undisclosed amount. The remaining 20 percent will remain with Softbank, the Japanese telecommunications company and technology investor.
Boston Dynamics is best known for its human-like Atlas robot and Spot, which resembles a four-legged dog. The company originated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and was originally a developer of robots for potential military use. Google bought the company in 2013 and sold it to Softbank four years later.
Boston Dynamics says it’s not making a profit. Bot videos have been watched millions of times on YouTube. Hyundai already makes robots for industrial use.
Dog robots can now jump rope together
Unlimited free access to Showbytes? And that can!
Sign in or create an account and never miss a thing from the stars.
“Coffee buff. Twitter fanatic. Tv practitioner. Social media advocate. Pop culture ninja.”
Mercedes prototype travels 1,000 kilometers without recharging (and consumes much less)
TomTom loses due to declining car production – tablets and phones – news
At this spa, you plunge into a bath full of wine: ‘It has an anti-inflammatory effect’ | Instagram NINA