The maximum number of cultural performances held indoors was originally imposed by royal decree on December 4. The measure was again issued by royal decree on December 29, after the State Council ruled on December 28 suspending the procedure for closing the interior spaces of the cultural sector.
Since then, cultural representatives objected to the maximum who spoke of an “unequal” and “excessive” figure, because the size of cultural performance halls was not taken into account. “We think the limit of 200 spectators is incoherent and unfair. It is not based on scientific data and does not take into account the capacity of different halls,” Philippe Degenev, president of the Federation of Employers in the Performing Arts, said last week at Le Soir.
The State Council is now ruling that the requesting parties “did not act quickly enough to be able to request the suspension of this restriction on the grounds of great urgency,” the ruling said. They filed their appeal on December 31, while the measure has been in place since early December. At the time, the restriction was not challenged by the State Council, courts and tribunals, apparently.
“Communicator. Avid web fanatic. Alcohol practitioner. Award-winning organizer. Bacon advocate.”